Monday 20 October 2008

Tractor.

"You know what you need, Bluey?" that fat bastard at slacknhash.net asked me. He's fond of rhetorical questions like that 'cause he thinks it makes him sound clever. "What you need, old son, is a space of your own. Your own blog, out there in the blogosphere, with other blogs from bloggers who blog about bloggy things with blogs on. Then we can syndicate your RSS feed onto the home page, it'll all be very clever and give me a chance to do stuff I've not done, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah…"

He may have been trying to make some kind of point about something, but that was the time I switched off. He's a nice guy, but – no, that doesn't work. He's an okay sort of person – that doesn't work either! I'm not having much luck with this, am I? One last try: there are times when his company might occasionally be tolerable, but despite that his head has a tendency to relocate itself up his arse. I know what he really had in mind, though. I know when I'm not wanted.

It's like when you're a kid and there's a party to which you've invited your classmates and then you get round to the kid that smells of Dettol. The one whose parents aren't all that well-off and give him a stupid haircut. The one who's got special needs, and his special need is to spend every lunchbreak from the ages of eleven to eighteen impersonating a tractor. And you can't tell him he's not invited, as that's a bit mean. He can't help it, can he? So you tell him he's been so good that he can have a party all of his own, at his house, in his room. And he seems happy with that.

I've just received the same treatment, haven't I? Here I am, thirtysomething (probably) and I smell of Dettol. And I've been so clever, so funny, so incisive, that I get to have a blog all of my own.

brum brum brum brum brum brum beep beep beep beep brmrmrmrmrmrmmmmm...

No comments: