Friday 17 August 2007

4E… meh.

It's official: D&D 4th edition is out next year. Now, what difference does this make to me? Does it mean I'm going to stop buying splatbooks since they'll be obsolete in eight months' time? Nah! I stopped buying them more than a year ago. Am I going to get all excited about the forthcoming changes? Nope! Did that when 3E was coming out. I'm actually fairly indifferent about the whole thing. It's this realisation that has led me to a pretty shocking conclusion. Readers: your uncle Bluey is getting old.

So, what's the solution to this early mid-life crisis? Get a motorbike? Start dating girls young enough to be my daughters? Nah. It's time to transfer all that nerdy energy to other pursuits, or at least other games. It's time to find an RPG that's more relevant to my interests. Perhaps GURPS: Withnail and I, a cheeky little RPG where you have to drink lighter fluid while your acting career stalls and your friendship with your flatmate disintegrates. Or maybe Deviant: The Masquerade, where your character goes from newsagent to newsagent, purchasing jazz mags and trying not to let anyone know your kinks, even though the magazines are up there on the top shelf for all to see? Either of them will do. Right now, though, I'm off for a swift round of Old Rope: The Exchange for Money. It's very easy to play. You just look at the bookshelf crammed with hundreds of pounds' worth of 3E books and try not to have a bit of a cry. I'd rather you didn't join me for that, though. It's a bit embarrassing.

Originally posted to Slack 'n' Hash on August 17, 2007.

No comments: